Self-care is one of those phrases that we have all heard but maybe haven’t ever tried to do intentionally. Don’t get self-care confused with being self-indulgent! Self-care is a mindset, activities or habits that keep you from negative emotions and keep you mentally and physically healthy. Basically, when you do things that make you feel better, it’s actually really good for you!
We all need to make more time for self-care! It is essential for living a happier and healthier life. For your convenience, here is a list of ways to take care of yourself:
- Stop feeling guilty for saying “no”. You don’t have to say yes to every favor someone asks for- make sure you make time for yourself.
- Make something with your hands. Crochet, knit, bake, cook, draw, paint! Anything that inspires you to be creative.
- Learn something new! Go to a class or watch a tutorial online. Keep your brain active and engaged.
- Be spontaneous! Change things up by taking a new route to work or doing something different in your routine.
- Make a list of things you need to do and check them off as you go. It will keep you organized and help you feel accomplished.
- Make your bed when you get up in the morning.
- Go for a walk, a hike or a jog.
- Take a fitness class that you love or try something new!
- Get a massage.
- Make yourself a healthy meal that you haven’t tried before.
- Buy yourself flowers and put them in a place where you can see how pretty they are!
- Do a face mask or take a bubble bath.
If you want to combine a couple of these things you can make this body scrub!
This is the easiest scrub that you could ever make- it will leave your skin smooth and it smells so yummy!
Coconut Coffee Scrub
Combine equal parts coffee grounds, sea salt and coconut oil.
Stir until salt and coffee grounds are evenly coated. Store in an airtight container and that’s it!
Here are a couple of ideas to add your own personal touch:
- Choose a specific kind of coffee flavor! Pick a flavored roast that you love the smell of like vanilla or caramel.
- Make it seasonal! Use a pumpkin spice roast of coffee and add cinnamon essential oil and raw pumpkin for a fall feel. (If you do choose to use raw pumpkin you will need to store the scrub in the fridge. It should keep up to two weeks in an air tight container.) Or add cocoa powder and peppermint essential oil for a peppermint mocha rendition!
- Use sugar instead of salt. Add in some other kind of oil that is good for your skin like olive oil or jojoba oil. Get creative!
This scrub is so good for your skin. Coconut oil is hydrating and has natural anti-microbial properties that fight against acne and other blemishes. The coffee and salt act as exfoliants that help the coconut oil get into the skin and scrub away dead skin cells that clog pores. The caffeine in the coffee fights against cellulite (!!!) and invigorates the skin to keep it looking fresh and taut. It also has staining properties which can give you a temporary tan-ish glow. Talk about a win-win! Sea salt removes toxins naturally and promotes circulation. Salt is also a natural muscle relaxant and is chalk-full of minerals like calcium and magnesium! Who would have thought that three simple ingredients could be so good for you?!
Practice some self-care by making this body scrub and use it in the shower before or after shaving to get the best results!